After working with hundreds of clients and observing thousands, I believe that post-workout nutrition produces greater results than any other supplementation strategy.
If you are not currently ingesting a post-workout shake, then this alone will prime you for positive physical change. It is imperative.
Before I go into more detail, I am going to share a story with you to drive home three CRITICAL points.
When I lived in Pittsburgh, PA, I gave a seminar covering this topic.
About a month later, one of the seminar attendees approached me and said, “ Hey, I drank those shakes after my workouts and all I did was get fat.” I quickly replied, “You mean Fatter.” His look of dismay was meant with my usual devilish grin. Then I said, “let’s figure this out.”
I began with the components of his shake.
Problem #1 Identified:
He decided to use a different protein powder because it was cheaper.
BB3 Post-Workout Rule #1:
Do not change the ingredients. The right quality with the right quantity is the difference between getting chiseled and getting gas.
Next I observed one of his workouts:
Problem #2 identified:
This guy trained his jaw more than he trained any other muscle and when he did lift a weight he would still be talking during his set!
BB3 Post-Workout Rule #2:
As I have said many times before, if you are talking while you are training, then you are not training…you are talking. The body must be challenged or it will not change.
Next I asked how long after his workout did he drink his shake.
Problem #3 identified:
He said when he got home from the gym, which was 30 minutes later. This did not include the time that he spent talking after each workout.
BB3 Post-Workout Rule #3:
Drink the shake within 5 minutes of your last rep of your last set. If you still need to stretch or perform any other additional non-resistance training activity, then do it after you drink the shake. That’s the deal.
The Body’s Post Workout Response
During a challenging training session several actions occur:
- The body utilizes nutrients at a far greater amount than at rest. The majority of the fuel during training is confiscated from a carbohydrate stored in the muscle called glycogen. Low glycogen leads to muscle loss. Thus, glycogen must be restored.
- Training creates microscopic tears in the muscle tissue referred to as microtrauma. All tissue in the human body is made of amino acids. (Stick a bunch of amino acids together and you get PROTEIN). Therefore, ingesting protein after the training session is critical.
- Cortisol levels steadily increase during the training session and post-workout. Cortisol is a hormone which signals various biochemical processes in the body. Some of the them are beneficial to physical achievement while others are not. An increase in cortisol post workout is not beneficial and greater results will occur by temporarily lowering it.
To get the best results consume a post workout shake that replenishes carbohydrate stores, repairs damaged tissue and lowers cortisol levels within 5 minutes of the last rep of the last set.
Now that you know the rules and have a basic understanding of the body’s post workout priority here are a few formulas that deliver the goods. I use these or variations of these formulas for both my clients and myself.
LARGE & In Charge:
If your main objective is to add muscle mass this is for you.
- 1-3 scoops FORMULA-1* (Whey Protein Concentrate)
- 1-6 scoops Vitargo Unflavored (Carbohydrate Supplement made my GenR8)
Vitargo purchase link – http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/genr8/vitargo.html
- 10 grams Creatine Monohydrate
- 1-2 scoops Greens-X* (green plant concentrate to blunt cortisol levels)
To determine protein intake: multiply bodyweight in KG by 0.3 = grams post workout
To determine carbohydrate intake (Vitargo): multiply grams of protein by 4 = total carbs
LEAN & Mean:
If your primary goal is to decrease body fat then opt for this formula:
- 1-3 scoops FORMULA-1*
- 5-20 grams Glutamine
(Amino Acid that when taken in higher doses replenishes glycogen stores without increasing hormones that promote fat gain)
- 1-2 scoops Greens-X*
(concentrated green plant extract that is an alkaline substance which blunts cortisol levels)
Here is a good starting point:
|125 or less||1 scoop||5 g||1 Tbsp.|
|125-150||1.5 scoops||7 g||1|
|151-175||2 scoops||10 g||1.5|
|176-200||2.5 scoops||12 g||1.5|
|201-225||3 scoops||15 g||2|
|226-250||3.5 scoops||20 g.||2|
* To get your hands on Formula-1, Greens-X or any BB3 supplement Call 954-424-8584